McAfee Stinger is a standalone energy made use of to identify and also remove specific infections. It’& rsquo; s not a substitute for complete anti-viruses defense, yet a specialized tool to aid managers and customers when taking care of infected system. Stinger uses next-generation scan innovation, consisting of rootkit scanning, and check performance optimizations. It spots and removes threats determined under the “” Danger List”” option under Advanced menu options in the Stinger application.
McAfee Stinger currently identifies and removes GameOver Zeus as well as CryptoLocker.
Exactly how do you utilize Stinger?
- Download the latest variation of Stinger.
- When triggered, pick to conserve the file to a convenient location on your hard disk, such as your Desktop folder.
- When the download is total, browse to the folder which contains the downloaded and install Stinger file, and also run it.
- The Stinger user interface will be displayed.
- By default, Stinger scans for running procedures, loaded components, registry, WMI as well as directory areas understood to be used by malware on an equipment to maintain scan times marginal. If essential, click the “” Customize my check”” link to add extra drives/directories to your check.
- Stinger has the ability to scan targets of Rootkits, which is not made it possible for by default.
- Click the Scan switch to start scanning the defined drives/directories.
- By default, Stinger will repair any contaminated files it finds.
- Stinger leverages GTI Data Track record as well as runs network heuristics at Tool degree by default. If you select “” High”” or “” Extremely High,”” McAfee Labs recommends that you establish the “” On threat discovery”” action to “” Record”” only for the initial scan.
To find out more regarding GTI File Track record see the adhering to KB short articles
KB 53735 – Frequently Asked Questions for International Danger Intelligence File Track Record
KB 60224 – Exactly how to confirm that GTI Data Reputation is mounted properly
KB 65525 – Identification of generically detected malware (International Danger Intelligence discoveries)
Join Us stinger macaffe website
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I recognize I have an infection, however Stinger did not spot one. Why is this?
A: Stinger is not a replacement for a complete anti-virus scanner. It is just designed to detect as well as remove specific threats.
Q: Stinger found an infection that it couldn'’ t fixing. Why is this? A: This is more than likely due to Windows System Bring back performance having a lock on the infected documents. Windows/XP/Vista/ 7 individuals ought to disable system bring back before scanning.
Q: Where is the check log conserved and also exactly how can I view them?
A: By default the log data is saved from where Stinger.exe is run. Within Stinger, browse to the log TAB as well as the logs are presented as list with time stamp, clicking on the log data name opens the documents in the HTML layout.
Q: Where are the Quarantine submits saved?
A: The quarantine files are kept under C: \ Quarantine \ Stinger.
Q: What is the “” Hazard Listing”” choice under Advanced menu made use of for?
A: The Danger Listing supplies a checklist of malware that Stinger is configured to find. This list does not have the results from running a scan.
Q: Exist any kind of command-line specifications available when running Stinger?
A: Yes, the command-line criteria are shown by going to the help food selection within Stinger.
Q: I ran Stinger and currently have a Stinger.opt data, what is that?
A: When Stinger runs it produces the Stinger.opt documents that saves the existing Stinger arrangement. When you run Stinger the next time, your previous setup is utilized as long as the Stinger.opt data remains in the same directory as Stinger.
Q: Stinger updated elements of VirusScan. Is this anticipated actions?
A: When the Rootkit scanning alternative is chosen within Stinger preferences –– VSCore files (mfehidk.sys & & mferkdet.sys) on a McAfee endpoint will certainly be updated to 15.x. These documents are mounted just if newer than what'’ s on the system as well as is required to check for today’& rsquo; s generation of newer rootkits. If the rootkit scanning option is handicapped within Stinger –– the VSCore update will certainly not take place.
Q: Does Stinger carry out rootkit scanning when released via ePO?
A: We’& rsquo; ve handicapped rootkit scanning in the Stinger-ePO package to restrict the auto update of VSCore elements when an admin deploys Stinger to thousands of equipments. To allow rootkit scanning in ePO setting, please utilize the complying with criteria while signing in the Stinger plan in ePO:
— reportpath=%temp%– rootkit
For comprehensive guidelines, please describe KB 77981
Q: What versions of Windows are supported by Stinger?
A: Windows XP SP2, 2003 SP2, Panorama SP1, 2008, 7, 8, 10, 2012, 2016, RS1, RS2, RS3, RS4, RS5, 19H1, 19H2. In addition, Stinger needs the machine to have Internet Traveler 8 or above.
Q: What are the requirements for Stinger to execute in a Victory PE setting?
A: While developing a customized Windows PE picture, include assistance for HTML Application parts making use of the directions provided in this walkthrough.
Q: Exactly how can I get assistance for Stinger?
A: Stinger is not a supported application. McAfee Labs makes no guarantees regarding this item.
Q: How can I include custom-made detections to Stinger?
A: Stinger has the choice where a user can input upto 1000 MD5 hashes as a customized blacklist. During a system check, if any kind of data match the custom-made blacklisted hashes – the documents will certainly get spotted as well as erased. This function is given to assist power customers that have separated a malware example(s) for which no discovery is available yet in the DAT data or GTI Data Credibility. To utilize this attribute:
- From the Stinger interface goto the Advanced–> > Blacklist tab.
- Input MD5 hashes to be identified either using the Enter Hash button or click the Load hash Listing switch to point to a text file including MD5 hashes to be consisted of in the check. SHA1, SHA 256 or other hash types are unsupported.
- Throughout a scan, files that match the hash will certainly have a detection name of Stinger!<>. Full dat repair service is used on the found documents.
- Data that are electronically signed using a legitimate certificate or those hashes which are already marked as clean in GTI Data Reputation will not be detected as part of the personalized blacklist. This is a safety and security function to avoid users from mistakenly removing data.
Q: Exactly how can run Stinger without the Actual Protect part getting set up?
A: The Stinger-ePO plan does not execute Genuine Protect. In order to run Stinger without Real Protect getting set up, execute Stinger.exe